From there, it was off to get an ultrasound and finally get a due date. I've held off on advertising the world about the pregnancy because the first two comments from people are always the same. First is the obligatory congrats; always appreciated. Second is what seems to be the obligatory question: When are you due? I could always handle the first, but the second was tough. Do you get into the details of why you don't know the specific date or do you gloss it over and hope they accept the run-around?
Well, thanks to the ultrasound, I don't have to worry anymore. The actual experience was pretty cool. Before that, the first baby picture and due date:
I'll be the first to admit that I had no idea what I was looking at until the doctor said, "Oh, that's the baby". Then he said "There's the heartbeat" (the little dot between the two X's). It took a minute and him using a little pointer, but I saw it. I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever look at life the same again. I'm pretty sure the heartbeat was enough to validate that, yes, I really am going to be a parent. Not sure if fear, inadequacy, or just plain awe was the dominate feeling; probably a combination of the three. Needless to say, yesterday was a big day and there are plenty more on the horizon, I'm sure.
1 comment:
The baby looks just like you! I'm glad that the date is mid-august, because that means that we may just be able to come home 2 weeks early to be there for it. We are so excited for you guys.
Post a Comment