Friday, September 22, 2006

This is twice

It's been a few days since Dad lost the primary election and I still find my self bitter to the entire experience. I'm not generally a sore loser, but in a case like this I struggle to find the positive in the situation. If dad had lost to the "better candidate" or even the harder working or more experienced candidate, there could be some sort of justification to it. The fact of the matter is that he lost to a total waste of a candidate. I mean, the guy didn't even run a campaign. He just posted a website with his bizarre policies and bashed on dad the whole time by misinterpreting everything he could and slandering him as often as possible. You'd think that somebody with an ounce of sense would see that the guy reaked of poor candidacy... the newspapers did and tore him a new one when it came time to endorse candidates.

On the other hand, Dad did everything right. He ran an ethical campaign based on hard work, integrity, community involvment and, most importantly, a desire to understand his would-be constituents and what they wanted from him. He was favored to win by 30 points.... THIRTY POINTS!! I still don't have answers as to why he lost which is probably why I'm still so unsettled. The Columbian had a good editorial on the whole fiasco here.

The other thing I've noticed is that I have a much better understanding on the local political scene in Vancouver and have virtually no idea what's going on here in Orem. I probably ought to care more, but I keep using the excuse that I "won't be in Utah much longer" but I've been saying that for five years and will be saying it for at least another three. At least it's overcast, raining, and I can't see the mountains; I can almost claim to be in the NW right now.

No comments: